Bank robbery

Around 11 a.m. on Jan. 6, a man wearing a fake nose and mustache, sunglasses, a beanie and a yellow jacket walked into a bank in the 3100 block of West McGraw Street. He was carrying a QFC bag and a dark revolver. 

He walked up to a teller who was helping a customer. The suspect pointed the gun at the teller and yelled for everyone to get on the ground.

The customer at the teller’s window laid down on the floor, while everyone else put their hands in the air. The teller took cash from the drawer and put it in the suspect’s bag, as he demanded. 

The robber ran out the door with the money and headed north on 32nd Avenue West. 

The suspect’s disguise was found in a nearby Dumpster.


Passive responders

An alarm company monitoring a commercial office building in the 2200 block of Queen Anne Avenue North recorded an alarm trip at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 22. They called 911 about five minutes later. 

Two hours later, Seattle Police units were dispatched. Since the back door alarm and the two interior motion sensors tripped, the back of the building was checked first. 

A window had been smashed, the large locking handle on the inside had been opened and the window frame had been swung to the full open position. There was broken glass on the windowsill and outside on the ground. 

The adjacent door and all of the other windows and doors were closed and locked. 

A motion-sensor floodlight was missing the sensor, which was later found by police on the ground. 

Police called the alarm company and asked for someone from the business to come out. The alarm company couldn’t get in touch with anybody, so police didn’t go inside. 

Police instead left a business card at the rear door to the business.


Apple thief

A man living on Dexter Avenue North called 911 after coming home to find his apartment had been ransacked. He left for work at 9 a.m. Jan. 22 and returned at 6 p.m. to find the front door ajar. Then he realized that it had been forced open and was damaged.

It seemed the burglar was a brand-loyal thief, stealing mostly Apple products, including a laptop computer, an iPod and an iPad, which were all located in different parts of the home.


Crowbar crazy

A man called 911 at 6 a.m. Jan. 21 after interrupting a burglary at his father’s house on 28th Avenue West. 

The man said he was sleeping downstairs when he heard some noises upstairs. At first, he thought it was his father because he was due to come home from the airport at about this time. 

After a few minutes, he heard some crashing and banging noises upstairs, so he put on some clothes and started to go upstairs. As he reached the landing, which leads to the back door, a stranger came down from the kitchen area. 

Without saying anything, the guy walked right past the victim and ran out the back door. The victim noticed that the suspect was carrying a crowbar.

When the victim went upstairs, he saw some of his father’s belongings in the hallway and damage to the front door. Just then, his father came into the house.

The father said he noticed that his mail slot had been tampered with and then noticed the lock was acting weird as he put his key in to open the door. 

As he came inside, he saw that the inside of the front door had significant damage. The inside lock and doorknob were left lying on the floor. The door and frame had large gouges. At this point, they called 911.

Police responded quickly and conducted a K-9 search. The canine unit tracked the suspect from the back door for about five blocks before it turned cold.

As the police and the victims walked through the house, they discovered that the suspect pried a window screen and a window to reach through and open the back door. 

The burglar ransacked the hall closet, taking 40 $1 bills from a can on a table. 

The suspect tried to leave through the front door but apparently couldn't figure out how to unlock it. The burglar used his crowbar to knock the front door knob off of the door, along with a deadbolt. He gouged the inside of the door and doorframe with about 15 to 20 blows to the door with the crowbar. 

He also used the crowbar to knock down a CD tower in the living room. 


Just looking

On Jan. 21 at 6:45 a.m., police responded to a building on Third Avenue West to investigate a forced-entry burglary. This building is currently being renovated. 

The responding officers spoke with the on-site foreman who is currently doing the remodel.

He said the burglar pried open the side door to the building on the south side between 6 p.m. Jan. 20 and 5 a.m. Jan. 21 and entered the building. Once inside, the burglar pried every single door lock on each unit’s front door to enter the individual units.

The foreman said that although each unit had been entered and the doors had been damaged, he was certain that nothing was stolen from the property.