Hotel-room theft

On Feb. 5, a man called 911 after his hotel room was burglarized. He told police he left his hotel room in the 500 block of First Avenue North at 8 a.m. He returned to his room at 7 p.m. and found that his toolbox, cell phone and other items were missing along, with his house key. There was no damage to the room or the door indicating there had been a forced-entry break-in.

The victim reported the theft to the hotel staff, and they moved him to a room by the front desk. 

While walking around the hotel, the man found some blue material wadded up in a ball in a stairwell landing and went to see what it was. A sweatshirt had been tied around a box; he opened the box and found his tools.

The victim said that all the items were his but not the sweatshirt. All the missing items were there except the house key, which he had originally placed in a plastic container.


Stolen jewelry

A woman on Perkins Lane West arrived home at 6 p.m. Feb. 9 to find her house had been broken into. She’d left the house around 1 p.m. 

The burglar entered the house through the front door, then went upstairs to her bedroom and stole a lot of jewelry and an iPad. 

The burglar left the house by exiting the rear patio door.


Unlocked front door

On Feb. 8 at 10:05 a.m., police responded to an occupied residential burglary in the 100 block of Valley Street. 

The victims said that they went bedroom at 10 p.m. the previous evening, and they thought that their door was locked. The next morning, one of the residents went outside to get the newspaper and noticed that it was in a different place than usual. When she went back inside, she realized her purse, cell phone and the car keys to both of the victims’ cars were gone. They went outside and discovered that both of their cars had also been stolen and called 911. 

Police investigated and determined there was no sign of any forced entry, and nothing else inside of the residence was disturbed. All of the items were taken from near the front entrance. 


Shattered glass

A resident in the 1600 block of Fifth Avenue North called 911 at 8:30 p.m. Feb. 7 to report a possible attempted break-in. The caller was alerted that the glass within the main front door had been shattered at about 8:10 p.m. 

The caller told police he’d been downstairs at 5:15 p.m. and the glass was intact at that time, so the damage occurred sometime between then and 8. 

Police examined the door. It appeared a round object was used to puncture a portion of the glass near the handle; the hole was big enough for the suspect to reach in and pull from the other side. However, it doesn't appear the suspect was successful in entering the building. 

Police looked for fingerprints but couldn’t find any. 

They aided residents in securing the door with a piece of plywood.


Misplaced furniture

Around 8 p.m. Feb. 7, a Magnolia woman began suspecting something was amiss after tripping over some out-of-place patio furniture. 

She was walking to her patio door after parking her car in the garage. As she got closer to the door, she tripped over one of the patio chairs that had not been there when she left. 

When she entered her house, she noticed a door to a hutch was ajar; it had been closed when she left. Believing her house had been burglarized, she went to a neighbor’s house, where she called 911.

Police arrived to check the residence to make sure it was clear. 

The victim said she thought the burglar entered the house through a window that looks out toward the patio, because the window screen was removed. She also said the patio chair she tripped over was left near the window in question. 

While walking through the house room by room, the victim noticed that the burglar had rifled through almost every drawer, scattering items everywhere. 

When the victim went to turn the patio lights on for police, she found they were not working. After stating they were on when she left, the officers checked the light bulbs and found that both of them had been unscrewed. 

There was a patio chair near the office window, next to an orange flashlight. The victim said this flashlight was usually in her garage. 


Unwanted surprise

Residents of a home on 41st Avenue West reported to police that they had been burglarized on Feb. 6. 

When they arrived home at 7 p.m., they thought that someone might have been in their house because the door to the basement was open and their cat, which is usually in the basement, was wandering around the house. 

The homeowners then noticed the screen knocked off of a window and the window standing ajar. They looked around the house and found that all of their jewelry had been gone through, and most of it was taken. They also noticed the digital camera was missing. 

When they went into the bathroom, they noticed that the burglar had used the toilet and not flushed. 

They also said that the back door was unlocked, and they were sure they locked it.