This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague.

Chump change

On July 23, an employee of a business in the 900 block of Dexter Avenue North arrived at work at 5:20 a.m. to find the front door pried open.

Responding officers saw the damaged front door and the damaged cash drawer at the front counter. The manager said a small amount of loose cash and coins were missing from the drawer.

Police checked the front door and cash drawer for fingerprints but didn’t find any.

The manager said the security cameras didn’t record the break-in.


At 5:02 a.m. on July 22, an alarm company called police after a motion sensor was tripped in a store in the 300 block of West McGraw Street.

Officers arrived to find the business dark inside and the front door and windows secured, but they could see that a disturbance had taken place behind the counter. Since they couldn’t get in, the officers left.

One of the officers returned to the business after it opened. The owner confirmed there was a burglary and that $500 in cash and two cases of lottery scratch tickets were stolen.

The burglar had entered through the sheetrock wall between the store and a neighboring business.

The store also had damage to the ceiling tiles in the storeroom. They couldn’t figure out why the burglar would damage the ceiling.

Police checked the business next door and found the front door unlocked. They called the business owner, who sent an employee out. The employee responded and said the only thing obviously missing was the cash register, which wasn’t supposed to have any money.

The burglar had entered the bathroom and destroyed the wall. When he reached the next wall, he used a saw to cut the sheetrock until he was able to enter the store next door.

The employee said he didn’t know why the door was unlocked. He said it was locked the night before. 

Chutes and ladders

A man in the 2500 block of Second Avenue West called police at 11:15 p.m. on July 22 after arriving home to find his house had been burglarized.

The residents were away between 10:30 a.m. and 11 p.m. When they returned, they saw that a ladder had been propped against the side of the house, under a forced-open window.

The man said the ladder is his; he normally stores it under the deck.

There was damage to the kitchen window near the latch, which was also broken off. There were also pry marks to the window frame.

A box and bag were on the bed; they had been taken out from the closet. The nightstand drawer was also open. A suitcase was on the floor of another room.

A bottle of prescription pain medication and a bottle of sleep-aid medication were taken. Also taken were a rare watch, $3,950 in cash, four credit cards and several other expensive items.

All of the credit cards had already been used, at a fast-food restaurant, a grocery store and online. 

Stolen cords

Police investigated a burglary report at a construction site in the 1100 block of Dexter Avenue North at 10 a.m. on July 21.

Officers spoke with the site’s foreman, who said that, on July 18, he noticed that several temporary power cords were missing from the lock-up area inside the construction site. He waited until the following Monday to call police so that he could speak with some employees about the missing items.

He said that five 50-inch, temporary power cords were taken from an area that is secured by chain-link fence. He said that there was no forced entry and no security footage of that area.

Each cord is worth about $300. 


An employee of a business in the 1200 block of Dexter Avenue North called 911 to report a burglary attempt.

The employee said that he arrived at 7 a.m. to see two men looking through the front window of the building on the corner of Highland Street and Dexter Avenue North.

Because of recent burglaries in the area, the employee parked his car and watched the men.

One of the men went to the main entrance and took out a set of keys. He tried the keys in the door but was not able to open the door. The second man remained on the sidewalk on the east side of the building, apparently as a lookout.

The employee said he yelled at the suspects, asking them what they were doing. They left, walking southbound on Dexter.