Live music, games and a scavenger hunt will greet the public at a celebration on April 26 to mark the completion of the first part of a major park improvement project in Lower Kinnear Park in Queen Anne.

The ribbon-cutting and community event, sponsored by Seattle Parks and Recreation and Friends of Lower Kinnear Park (FOLKpark), will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. at the park (601 W. Roy St.) on the southwest edge of Queen Anne.

Activities reflecting the nature of the restored urban forest will include a talk on native birds and a hike on a restored trail. Guided walks will afford a look at native specimens like a copper beech tree, named a City of Seattle Tree of Significance because of its environmental contributions. (This tree, saved during the renovation, intercepts more than 3,000 gallons of stormwater runoff each year, officials say.)

“Tennis fun” will be offered on a newly refurbished tennis/pickleball court.

Dog owners and their pets will enjoy a tour of a renovated off-leash dog area at the west end of the park, at 904 Elliott Ave. W.

Attendees of the April 26 event are encouraged to bring nonperishable food items to benefit the Queen Anne Food Bank.

One of five madrone forests in Seattle, the city-landmarked Kinnear Park is a 10-acre, sustainable forest retreat in a dense urban environment. FOLKpark helped raise nearly $1 million for improvements, including widened pathways, removal of many invasive plants and expanded views into the interior of the park.

George and Angie Kinnear, early land owners on Queen Anne hill, donated land for Kinnear Park to the city in 1887. Today, the restored Lower Kinnear Park connects the upper slopes of Queen Anne hill to Elliott Bay via the Amgen Helix bridge.